Black bean soup is a slow carb recipe, meatless yet packed with lean protein. This slow carb recipe has several variable options, which you can add or omit to suit your tastes. If you like spice, feel free to go all-out with the jalapenos (just make sure they’re completely seeded, so you’re not crunching on jalapeno seeds). In addition, feel free to omit the corn if you'd like your soup to be 100-percent bean. You can also add a little lemon or lime juice for an extra bit of tang, or feel free to skip it– this black bean soup is all yours!
- Yield : 4 servings
- black beans - 2 15-oz cans
- corn - 1 15-oz can, whole kernal (optional)
- yellow onion - 1 whole, diced
- garlic - 3 cloves, minced
- celery - 2 stalks, diced
- red bell pepper - ¼ pepper, diced
- jalapeño - 2 whole, diced and seeded (optional)
- chicken bouillon - 2 cubes
- ground cumin - 2 tsp
- salt - 1 tsp or to taste
- pepper - to taste
- water - 15 cups
- olive oil - 2 tbs
- lemon or lime juice - 2 tbs (optional)
- green onion - 2-3, chopped (optional)
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, and bell pepper, and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes.
Add beans, corn, jalapeno, salt, cumin, bouillon, and water, and bring to a boil. Add more water if the beans are not completely covered. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer for about 45 minutes, or until beans are tender.
Add lemon or lime juice if using. Add more salt or pepper to taste as needed. Serve hot; garnish with green onion as you like.